Spring is the perfect time show off our green-thumbs, by filling our homes and gardens with luscious flowers and plants! As beautiful as they can look, some of these can pose a threat to our furry friends.
Cats, dogs, birds and pocket-pets alike can become curious and easily tempted for a nibble of your new plant. Some pets can become itchy or even unwell, just by sniffing or brushing against these troublesome plants.
Here are some of the more common, more toxic plants and flowers that could cause problems for your pet:
- Daffodils & jonquils
- Devil’s ivy (pothos)
- Diffenbachia (dumb cane)
- Lillies (including Asiatic, day, Easter, Japanese show, stargazer, tiger, red, western and wood lillies)
- Philodendrons (including swiss cheese plant, heart leaf and fiddle leaf philodendrons)
- Sage palm
- Yesterday, today, tomorrow
Of course, there are many other types of plants that can upset your pet.
Some of the more common symptoms these plants can cause if ingested include:
- Itchy or red skin
- Itchy and irritated eyes
- Excessive and unusual drooling
- Excessive or unusual thirst
- Disorientation or a lack of coordination
- Pain around the abdomen area
- Difficulty or rapid breathing
- Lack of appetite
These symptoms can vary greatly depending on which plant your pet may have come into contact with, so you may only notice one or two – it is important to be diligent and act fast.
If you are concerned your pet may have ingested a toxic plant, be sure to give us a call right away so we can commence diagnosis and treatment. If you can, take a photo of the plant, or take a snippet so we can identify what it is causing the issue.
If you have any questions or are worried about your pets interacting with any of the plants in your home or garden, give our friendly team a call on 07 4632 8333 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.